American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

Adjustment of Status - What to Know

American FlagYou may be wondering how you can apply for an adjustment of status and obtain a Green Card. Read on for more information regarding the process of adjustment of status.

What Is Adjustment of Status?

If an immigrant wishes to live and work in the United States permanently, he or she can apply for an adjustment of status (AOS). This will allow the individual to obtain a Green Card, but there are certain requirements that must be met.

Am I Eligible?

If you are interested in applying for a Green Card, you can do so by applying through one of the following categories:

  • Family-based: If the individual applying for permanent residence is an immediate relative of a United States citizen, he or she does not have to wait for a visa. Immediate relatives who are eligible for a Green Card include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21. There is also no limit to the number of visas that can be issued for family members of a citizen, but there are limits within other categories.
  • Job or employment-based: Individuals who want to become immigrants due to employment or a job offer can apply for permanent residency. It is important to note that there are a limited amount of visas that may be issued in this category.
  • Refugee or asylum: Individuals who were admitted to the country as a refugee or were granted asylum are able to apply for permanent residency. They may do so one year after they entered the country. Qualifying spouses or children of refugees and asylees may do so as well.
  • Special programs: Reach out to an immigration attorney for more information.
What Does the Process Entail?

When it comes to adjustment of status, the process can take a long time, and there are many requirements that one must meet to obtain a Green Card. Some of the requirements include the following:

  • Attend a biometrics appointment and/or medical exam
  • Submit to a criminal background check
  • Interview with a USCIS agent

Petitioning for adjustment of status can be a long process. In some cases, it can take several months and in others, it can take over a year. It is best to contact a skilled immigration attorney who can walk you through every step of the process. Reach out to our firm to speak with a dedicated attorney who will help you fight to achieve your immigration goals.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta