Adjustment of Status | What to Know

Katona & Associates, PLLC
Contact Us Today

Adjustment of Status | What to Know

You may be wondering how you can apply for an adjustment of status and obtain a Green Card. Read on for more information regarding the process of adjustment of status.

What is Adjustment of Status?

If an immigrant wishes to live and work in the United States permanently, he or she can apply for an adjustment of status (AOS). This will allow the individual to obtain a Green Card, but there are certain requirements that must be met.

Am I Eligible?

If you are interested in applying for a Green Card, you can do so by applying through one of the following categories:

  • Family-based: If the individual applying for permanent residence is an immediate relative of a United States citizen, he or she does not have to wait for a visa. Immediate relatives who are eligible for a Green Card include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21. There is also no limit to the number of visas that can be issued for family members of a citizen, but there are limits within other categories. 
  • Job or employment-based: Individuals who want to become immigrants due to employment or a job offer can apply for permanent residency. It is important to note that there are a limited amount of visas that may be issued in this category.
  • Refugee or asylum: Individuals who were admitted to the country as a refugee or were granted asylum are able to apply for permanent residency. They may do so one year after they entered the country. Qualifying spouses or children of refugees and asylees may do so as well.  
  • Special programs: Reach out to an immigration attorney for more information.

What Does the Process Entail?

When it comes to adjustment of status, the process can take a long time, and there are many requirements that one must meet to obtain a Green Card. Some of the requirements include the following:

  • Attend a biometrics appointment and/or medical exam
  • Submit to a criminal background check
  • Interview with a USCIS agent

Petitioning for adjustment of status can be a long process. In some cases, it can take several months and in others, it can take over a year. It is best to contact a skilled immigration attorney who can walk you through every step of the process. Reach out to our firm to speak with a dedicated attorney who will help you fight to achieve your immigration goals.


Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Read More
Blog Posts