Can I Leave the United States with a Pending Green Card?

Katona & Associates, PLLC
Contact Us Today

Can I Leave the United States with a Pending Green Card?

It is important to understand the rules under a pending green card application. Continue reading and reach out to our skilled New York immigration attorneys today to learn more. Our legal team is here for you.

What are the benefits of obtaining a green card?

Even though the process of obtaining a green card is far from easy, a green card gives immigrants numerous opportunities. Just to name a few, employment options widen, individuals will be eligible to apply for a driver’s license, and people can apply for a Social Security Card. Additionally, a green card allows you to leave the country for less than a year with guaranteed admittance back into the United States.

If you are interested in learning more about the advantages of obtaining a green card, it is in your best interest to reach out to Katona & Associates, PLLC today. Our dedicated immigration attorneys are on your side.

Am I permitted to move while my case is pending with the USCIS?

You must update your address with the USCIS within 10 days of your move if you are doing so while your green card application is pending. This is a requirement because important information will often get mailed to you during this time. If you do not update your address, it is likely that you will miss out on vital information about your application. You can update your address through your USCIS online account, or you can file with Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, with the USCIS Change of Address webpage.

Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm if you have questions about this process.

How can I check the status of my pending green card?

If you would like to obtain status information about your application, you can visit the USCIS’s Case Status Online page and put in your Form I-485 receipt number to check on your pending case’s status, submit a case inquiry with USCIS, or call USCIS at 800-375-5283.

What if I need to leave the country while my case is pending?

If you need to leave the United States while your case is pending, you are required to file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. It is important that you know that in most cases, leaving the United States without an advance parole document while your Form I-485 is pending, may prohibit you from being able to get a green card because you have technically abandoned your application.

Reach out to our firm today to learn more about how leaving the United States can impact your pending green card.


Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Read More
Blog Posts