Our legal team recognizes the importance of becoming a United States citizen. To learn more about the naturalization process, reach out to our dedicated and experienced NYC citizenship attorneys today. We are on your side.
Am I eligible for naturalization?
In order to become a United States citizen, you must go through the naturalization process. It is important to understand that there are a number of different requirements that an individual must meet in order to be granted citizenship. To be eligible, you must:
- Show that you are committed to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution
- Have a satisfactory understanding of the United States government and history
- Be capable of communicating through reading, writing, and speaking basic English
- Take an oath of allegiance to the United States
- Be at least 18 years of age, and a permanent resident for at least 5 years
- Establish continued residence in the United States for at least 5 years before the date of filing Form N-400
- Confirm to have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years before filing Form N-400
- Have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply
- Demonstrate that you are a person of good moral character
What are the advantages of becoming a United States citizen?
After you obtain citizenship rights in the United States, you are presented with a number of rights and responsibilities. Some of these rights and responsibilities include:
- The ability to travel with a U.S. passport
- Bring family members to the United States
- The right to vote
- Obtain citizenship for children who are younger than 18 years old
- Apply for federal jobs, because many of these jobs will require citizenship
- Become an elected official. This is one of the highest honors and responsibilities a person can have, and it can only be obtained through U.S. citizenship
- Keep your residency. Once you are a citizen, you cannot be removed
- Qualify for specific federal grants and scholarships
- Acquire government benefits
- Serve on a jury. Jury service is one of the exemplary aspects of citizenship, and by serving, you help support the democratic process that the United States so favorably treasures.
If you would like to learn more about the naturalization process or on how you can become a United States citizen, do not wait to reach out to our dedicated NYC citizenship attorneys today. Our legal team is on your side and will help you navigate through this process.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.