How to Obtain Adjustment of Status in the United States

Katona & Associates, PLLC
Contact Us Today

How to Obtain Adjustment of Status in the United States

If you would like to obtain a green card, you may be able to do so through the process of Adjustment of Status. Contact our firm today to speak with one of our experienced New York immigration attorneys to learn more.

What is Adjustment of Status?

A non-United States citizen can petition to become a Permanent Resident through a process known as the Adjustment of Status (AOS). In the event that an individual acquires permanent residency, they will be permitted to live and work in the United States permanently. A person that attains this status will need to ensure that they carry around their green card with them always.

Do I qualify for an Adjustment of Status?

A non-United States citizen must live within the United States and meet specific criteria in order to qualify for an AOS. You may be qualified to apply for a green card if you are within any of the following categories:

  • Family-based: Individuals that are immediate relatives of a citizen in the United States, do not need to wait for a visa. Immediate relatives that are eligible for a green card can include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21. Also, there is no limit to the number of visas that can be issued for family members of a United States citizen.
  • Job or employment-based: Those who want to come to the United States for employment opportunities or a job offer can apply for permanent residency. It is also important to note that there are special circumstances and a restricted number of visas that can be issued in this situation.
  • Refugee or asylum: Individuals who come to the country as a refugee or who were granted asylum can apply for permanent residency, too. This can happen one year after they came into the country. Spouses or children of refugees and asylees may also qualify.
  • Special programs: There are also other ways to get a green card. Contact our firm to learn more.

How does this process work?

The AOS process can take months and even over a year. There are also a number of requirements that a person must meet to get a green card. Some of the requirements include the following:

  • Go through a criminal background check
  • Interview with a USCIS agent
  • Attend a biometrics appointment and/or medical exam

Reach out to our firm today to obtain more information on this process and how our dedicated legal team can help you.


Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Read More
Blog Posts