What do I Need to Know About Employment Visas in the United States?

Katona & Associates, PLLC
Contact Us Today

What do I Need to Know About Employment Visas in the United States?

When a person from another country wishes to come to the United States for work, they are required to receive an employment visa to do so. The process of doing so is not always easy, which is why it is important to have the help of an experienced New York immigration attorney to assist you during this time. Continue reading below to learn more about employment visas in the United States. 

Why is an Employment Visa Needed?

Employment visas allow immigrants the legal right to live in the United States under the condition that they keep employment. This visa can be extended more than one time, however, they most likely will be required to go back to their native country after the final extension. In addition to this, they will also be required to return if their job is terminated or ends. While this is true, they may look to receive permanent residency as a nonimmigrant worker through the PERM labor certification process.

What are Types of Employment Visas?

There are several different types of employment visas in the United States that can apply to each person’s own situation. This can include the following:

  • H-1B Visas: For professional employees
  • H-2 Visas: For nonimmigrant unskilled workers who are looking for temporary or seasonal work
  • M Visas: For nonvocational student 
  • F Visas: For students looking to attend a high school, private elementary school, conservatory, seminary, university, and other academic institutions
  • B-1 Visas: For temporary entry into the United States for conferences, seminars, meetings, and more
  • TN Visas: For Mexican or Canadian professionals with sponsors in the U.S.
  • P Visas: Temporary visas for noncitizen artists, athletes, and entertainers, as well as their spouses and children.
  • R Visas: Temporary visas for religious workers

How do I Apply for an Employment Visa?

In order to receive an employment visa, individuals are required to apply outside of the United States from their native country. It is important to note that this is not a simple process and can sometimes take a very long time, as only 140,000 employment-based visas are granted each year. It is because of this that it is crucial to retain an experienced immigration attorney, as we assist in expediting this process.

Contact our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Read More
Blog Posts