What is the Process of Renewing My Green Card in New York?

Katona & Associates, PLLC
Contact Us Today

What is the Process of Renewing My Green Card in New York?

At Katona & Associates, we recognize how important it is for our clients to obtain a Green Card. That is why our firm is here to help you through each step of the renewal process. Contact our firm today to learn more about how we can help you. Our skilled New York immigration attorneys are ready to help.

How do I get my Green Card renewed in New York?

To begin the Green Card renewal process, you will need to fill out a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card either online or through a paper application. You must note that the paper application must be submitted through the mail once completed. If you have ownership of a previous version of the alien registration card, you must substitute it with your current Green Card as soon as possible. To learn more about this process, reach out to our firm today to speak with our dedicated legal team. We are just one call away.

Can I renew my Green Card outside of the United States?

If your Green Card is going to expire within 6 months, but you will return to the United States within one year of you leaving, you will have to file for the renewal card when your return. If you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the United States, then you must contact a United States Consulate, USCIS office, or a United States port of entry before you are able to file a Form I-90 for renewal.

What should I do if my Green Card application is denied?

Unfortunately, a rejected renewal application cannot be appealed. However, you may have the potential to file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that initially determined you were ineligible for renewal.

Do not wait to reach out to an experienced immigration attorney if your renewal was denied. With the aid of a skilled attorney, they can help you obtain, collect, and present all the evidence required to show that the decision to deny your application was based on an incorrect application of the law. If you are interested in filing a motion, reach out to a dedicated immigration attorney for help. At Katona & Associates, PLLC, our legal team is equipped with the knowledge and experience required to steer our clients in the right direction. Contact us today.


Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Read More
Blog Posts