Each individual has a different reason for wanting to enter the U.S. Because of the various situations people find themselves in, there are different ways to obtain a visa. One way to enter the United States is with an investor visa. An investor visa, also known as an E visa, gives foreign nationals the right to be self-employed in the U.S. If you receive an E visa, you can become a U.S. citizen for up to 5 years. Additionally, you can renew your visa every 5 years as long as your qualifying business resumes. With this visa, your spouse and children may also stay and work in the United States. Read on to learn more about obtaining an investor visa.
What is an E-1 Visa?
In order to obtain an E-1 visa, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You must conduct at least 50% of the international trade with the U.S. and the treaty country
- The income you receive from the trade should support you and your family
- You must prove that there is an exchange between the US and your treaty country
- It must be an international trade involving goods, services, and money
- The owner must be a foreign national and own at least 50% of the company, though employees may hold a managerial position that is essential to the business’s success
- Your trade must already exist between a ratified trade treaty country and the United States
What is an E-2 Visa?
If you are looking to obtain an E-2 visa, as a foreign enterprise or an investor, you must:
- Have invested be actively investing in a U.S. enterprise
- Have an investment of capital with the expectation of making a profit
- Have possession and full control of the investment
- Have an investment irrevocably committed to the U.S. enterprise
- Have unsecured personal business capital OR capital secured by personal assets
If you have any questions or concerns about obtaining an investor visa, our firm is here to help. We will walk you through all of your immigration law matters, every step of the way. Reach out today to discuss your options.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.