What to Know About Renewing Your Green Card in New York

Katona & Associates, PLLC
Contact Us Today

What to Know About Renewing Your Green Card in New York

A Green Card can open a lot of amazing doors for those hoping to become United States Citizens. But, it is incredibly important to remember that your Green Card is not permanent, in order to be considered valid it must be renewed every 10 years. Read on to learn more about how you can renew your Green Card. 

How do I renew a Green Card?

To renew a Green Card, you can fill out a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card online, or through the mail. If you are in possession of a previous version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current Green Card.

Can I Renew a Green Card While Outside of The United States?

If you are currently outside of the United States and your Green Card is set to expire within 6 months, but you will return within 1 year of your departure from the U.S. and before your Green Card expires, you must file for your renewal card as soon as you return.

However, if you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the United States, you must contact a U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or a U.S. port of entry before you can file a Form I-90 for a renewal Green Card.

What Should I do if my Application is Denied?

In some cases, your Green Card application will be denied. If your application is denied, unfortunately, you cannot appeal the decision. However, you may file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the decision. This can be complicated as this motion must provide new information to warrant a reopening of your case. This motion must also confirm that the decision to deny your application was based either on a misguided or incorrect application of the law, therefore establishing that the office made the wrong decision on the basis of evidence in the file at the time the decision was made. This can be difficult to prove, so it is important to work with an experienced NYC immigration attorney.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your Green Card renewal, contact our firm. We are here to walk you through the process.


Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Read More
Blog Posts