American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

Conditional Residence

Conditional Residence Attorneys Located in Manhattan

Many individuals enter the United States accompanied by temporary conditions on their residence here. If you are a foreign national who has received your permanent resident status before your two year wedding anniversary, you will be issued a two-year conditional green card. You will have 90 days to file evidence that your marriage is legitimate and will participate in an interview. If you fail to remove your conditions within the given time frame, you may be deported from the United States. It is essential that you have strong legal representation on your side that can effectively guide you through the conditional residence process. Contact Katona & Associates, PLLC today to learn how we can assist you.

I-751 Petitions

Signing Papers To remove conditions from your residence, you must submit an I-751 petition with your signature and your spouse’s signature. If the marriage was legitimate but ended due to divorce or an abusive relationship, you may be able to receive a waiver that allows you to submit the petition with just your signature. If you fail to submit your I-751 petition within 90 days of the two year anniversary of your marriage, you may be deported from the United States.

Approving an I-751 Petition

Once you have submitted your petition and it is approved, the conditions set on your residence will be removed. Now, you are able to apply for citizenship given that you meet all of the other requirements. Like all other immigration processes, it is not always easy to become a citizen of the United States but it is arguably the most rewarding. Once you become a United States citizen, you will be able to vote, hold federal positions, and bring your family members into the United States. Of course, it is important that you have legal guidance every step of the way to help ensure the process runs smoothly.

Contact a NYC Immigration Attorney

If you are a foreign national that has recently gotten married to a citizen of the United States, it is important that you take the time to learn about the processes required of you. Arguably the most important next step is to discuss your conditional residence with an immigration attorney to ensure that you are not deported upon your two-year anniversary. Katona & Associates, PLLC can help you through each step of the process and go on to help you through the citizenship process as well. Contact our firm today to learn how we can assist you.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta