American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

Employment Authorization Documentation

Immigration EAD Attorney Located in Manhattan

People from all around the world seek employment here in the United States. Employment authorization documents, otherwise known as EADs or work permits, grant foreign nationals the legal right to work in the US for a predetermined period of time. EADs may only be issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS. If you are a current non-resident and believe you qualify for the legal right to work in the United States, simply read on and contact Katona & Associates, PLLC today to learn more about how we can help.

Qualifications for an Employment Authorization Document

Document SigningIf you are someone who is looking to obtain an employment authorization document, you will first have to prove you qualify in your Form I-765, Application for an Employment Authorization Document. Some of the groups that may qualify for employment authorization documents are as follows:

  • Foreign students
  • Citizens who are of certain nationalities
  • Family-based nonimmigrants
  • EAD applicants who’ve already applied for an adjustment of status
  • Asylees
  • Refugees
  • Employment-based nonimmigrants
Why Apply for an Employment Authorization Document?

People apply for employment authorization documents for various reasons. Generally, non-citizens will apply either to have their EAD renewed, replaced, or temporarily instated until their application is either approved or denied. Though EADs are issued for a set amount of time, in many cases, individuals can actually apply for an extension. Additionally, if you recently lost your EAD or your EAD was destroyed or contains false information, you may apply to replace it.

In many cases, USCIS will take a significant period of time to process and grant people work authorizations, which is why you may apply for an interim EAD to support yourself financially until USCIS approves your application. That being said, interim authorizations are only granted for up to 240 days. If you require an interim authorization and it’s been 90 days since USCIS has received your application, you should speak with an experienced New York City immigration attorney as soon as you can.

How to Obtain an H-1B Visa

H-1B visas are perhaps the most frequently-granted work authorizations in the United States. These are temporary work visas that enable New York employers to hire certain foreign workers. However, not just anyone qualifies for an H-1B visa–these visas are reserved for certain “specialty occupations.” Simply put, a specialty occupation is defined as a position that requires specialized knowledge in a highly technical field. To qualify, you must either have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience. Some examples of specialty occupations that may qualify for the H-1B visa can include the following:

  • Medicine and health
  • Education Law
  • Accounting
  • Architecture
  • Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Physical sciences
  • Social sciences
  • Biotechnology

Generally, if you are granted an H-1B visa, you will be allowed to work in the United States for three years. However, under certain circumstances, you may have your term extended an additional three years. Additionally, once you’ve obtained an H-1B visa, you may qualify for applying for permanent residence. If you think you are eligible to work in the United States, all you have to do is contact our firm. We are ready to help.

Contact a New York City Immigration Attorney

If you are a non-citizen who is looking to work in the United States, you know where to turn. For nearly 20 years, Attorney Katona has helped various foreign nationals obtain EADs so they can make a living here in the U.S. Do not delay–whether you need assistance obtaining an H-1B visa or any other-work related document, we are here to help. Contact Katona & Associates, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta