American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

Everything You Know About United States Travel Documents

Hands Holding the WorldIf you are looking to travel to the United States but are not a citizen, you need to obtain specific travel documents for permission. This includes a visa so that you can travel to the country without issue. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York immigration attorney for assistance.

What Is a Short-Stay Visa?

If you are looking to stay in the United States, even for a short period of time, you still need a visa. Some common short-stay visas include:

  • Business visa: This allows foreign nationals to engage in commerce in the U.S.
  • Working holiday visa: This allows individuals to temporarily work in the U.S. while they travel.
  • Transit visa: This allows you to pass through the United States to reach a destination outside of the country.
  • Private visa: This allows you to come to the U.S. if you were invited by a resident for a private visit.
  • Medical visa: This allows you to come to the U.S. if you require medical treatment from a specific medical professional in the country.
  • Tourist visa: These visas are for a short period of leisure/tourist travel.
  • Athletic or artistic visa: These are for competing athletes, performing artists, and the like.
  • Cultural exchange visa: There are generally for athletes/artists participating in cultural exchange programs.
What Are Long-Stay Visas?

If you are looking to come to the United States for an elongated period of time, you need to obtain one of the following visas:

  • Refugee visa: If you are a foreign national seeking to flee significant danger in your country, such as persecution, natural disaster, or otherwise.
  • Student visa: This allows foreign nationals to receive higher education in the U.S.
  • Asylum visa: These are granted to those who fear persecution in their country due to race, beliefs, associations with a particular group, etc.
  • Temporary worker visa for approved employment: The most common type of worker visa is the H-1B visa.
  • Journalist visa: For journalists who want to report for their news organizations in the U.S.
Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta