How Can Athletes and Performers Enter the United States?
If you are an athlete or performer looking to enter the U.S. for an event, read on for more information.P-1A and P-1B Visas
- The P-1A visa is available to internationally recognized athletes. This allows them to come to the country temporarily so that they may perform at a specific athletic competition at an internationally recognized performance level. Those who wish to obtain this visa must meet certain requirements. The applicant must:
- Be coming to the country to participate in an individual event, competition, or performance that requires an internationally recognized athlete
- Be internationally recognized, meaning they have a high level of achievement backed up with a skill that is above the ordinary and known in more than one country
- A P-1B Visa is available for a member of an internationally recognized entertainment group. This allows them to come to the country temporarily to perform as a member of this group that is internationally recognized for a period of time. An individual who wishes to obtain this visa must meet the following requirements:
- At least 75% of the members in their group have had a substantial and consistent relationship with the group for at least one year
- The group must be internationally recognized with a high level of achievement backed up by a skill that is above the ordinary
- The group’s reputation is important as well
- A P-2 visa exists for those who are individual performers or part of a group that is planning to perform in a reciprocal exchange program. This allows the individual to perform as an artist or entertainer, whether it may be individually or as part of a group. The requirements to receive this visa are as follows:
- The individual must be an artist or entertainer under a formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the organization in the United States and the organization in the foreign country
- The individual must possess skills that are comparable to those of artists and entertainers in the United States that are taking part in the program outside the country
- A P-3 visa is for individuals who are artists or entertainers coming to the country to temporarily be a part of a culturally unique program. This is for those coming to perform, teach, or coach. The requirements to receive this visa are as follows:
- The individual must come to the country individually or as a group for one of the following purposes: developing, interpreting, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance
- The individual must come to the country to participate in a cultural event to further the understanding of their art form
Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.