American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

How Can I Help a Relative Gain U.S. Citizenship?

Bridge to CitizenshipIf you are a U.S. Citizen, you may be wondering how you can help a family member gain citizenship. Read on to learn more about the process.

What Is a Form I-130

A Form I-130 is known as Petition for Alien Relative. Filing this form is the first step in assisting an eligible relative in the process of immigrating to the United States. This can be used only by citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States who wish to establish their relationship to the eligible relative.

Where Does the Form I-130 Get Filed?

Where you currently live plays a large part in determining how you will file your Form I-130. If you are someone who is currently living in the United States as a United States citizen, you will file your form either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. However, if you are a U.S. Citizen living outside of the United States, and you are filing for an unmarried child under the age of 21, or for one of your parents, you will do so at the USCIS international office in the country where you are currently residing.

If you are a United States citizen who is living outside of the U.S. and in a country where there is not USCIS international lockbox, then you will have to file at the Dallas lockbox.

What Does It Cost to File?

It will cost $535 to file, so it is important that the form is filed correctly. You will have to pay this fee either via personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or by credit card via Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. You should contact an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that everything is filed correctly.

What Information Do I Need to File a Form I-130?

It is crucial you submit all necessary information when filing. Some of the information you will need to submit includes evidence of your U.S. citizenship, U.S. national status, or lawful permanent residence, a copy of your child’s birth certificate (or your marriage certificate), a copy of your birth certificate, and more. The Form also requires that you provide the nature of your relationship with the immigrant, your mailing address, marital status, and more. Additionally, the Form requires you to submit the beneficiary’s full name, physical address, date of birth, and marital information.

If you are interested in filing a Form I-130, contact our firm today.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta