American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

How Can I Help My Relative Become a United States Citizen?

Books HammerIf you would like to help your relative become a lawful permanent resident of the United States, continue reading and reach out to our experienced New York immigration attorneys to learn more about the process and Form I-130 and how we can help you.

Where Does Form I-130 Get Filed?

Form 1-130 is the first step to helping a relative apply for a green card. How you file your form will heavily depend on where you currently reside. If you currently live in the United States as a United States citizen, you will file your form either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. However, in contrast, if you are a United States citizen, live outside of the United States, and are filing for an unmarried child under the age of 21, or for one of your parents, you will have to file at the USCIS international office in the country where you are currently living.

If you are a United States citizen who is living outside of the U.S. and in a country where there is no location for a USCIS international lockbox, then you will have to file at the Dallas lockbox. The Form requires you to provide the nature of your relationship with your immigrant relative, your mailing address, marital status, and more. Furthermore, the Form will require you to disclose information including the beneficiary’s full name, physical address, date of birth, and marital information.

How Much Does It Cost to File a Form I-130?

The Form will cost $535 to file, which is why it is important for you to file correctly. You will also need to pay the fee either through a personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or by credit card through Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions.

If you have questions or concerns about the cost of this Form, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm to speak with our immigration law attorneys.

What Information Do I Need to File Form I-130?

When filing this form, you will need to make sure that all of the necessary information is submitted. That is why it is critical that you retain the services of an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you are filing this form properly to avoid any future complications. Some of the information you will need to submit includes evidence of your U.S. citizenship, U.S. national status, or lawful permanent residence, a copy of your child’s birth certificate (or your marriage certificate), a copy of your birth certificate, and more.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta