American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

How Do I Renew My Green Card in New York? - What to Know

DocumentA Green Card is a useful tool and is an important part of an immigrant’s life. Green cards allow you to apply for a Social Security card, can provide you with job opportunities, and give you the right to apply for a driver’s license. Green Cards must be renewed every 10 years. If you have questions about how to renew your green card, our firm is happy to help walk you through this process. Reach out to one of our dedicated New York immigration attorneys today to get started.

How Can I Renew My Green Card in New York?

To begin the process of renewing your Green Card, you must fill out a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card online or through a paper application. If you choose to apply with the paper application, you must submit it through the mail. Additionally, if you have possession of a previous version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current Green Card.

Can I Still Renew My Green Card if I Am Not in the United States?

If you are currently outside of the United States and your Green Card is set to expire within 6 months, but you will return within one year of your departure from the United States, you must file for your renewal card as soon as you return. If you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the United States, then you must reach out to the United States Consulate, USCIS office, or a United States port of entry before you can file a Form I-90 for renewal.

If you have questions about whether or not you are able to renew your card outside of the United States, contact our legal team today to discuss your case and your options.

What Should I Do if My Green Card Application Is Denied?

Unfortunately, if your Green Card renewal application was denied, you cannot appeal that decision. However, you may be able to file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that determined you were ineligible for renewal.

If your renewal was denied, it is critical that you retain the services of an experienced attorney to help you with this matter. Your attorney will be able to help you obtain, collect, and present all the evidence needed to prove that the decision to deny your application was based on an incorrect application of the law. To file a motion, you must reach out to a skilled immigration attorney for assistance.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta