Military Personnel and Veterans Can File Their Naturalization Application Online
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service recently announced that U.S. service members and veterans are now able to file the Form N-400, also known as the Application for Naturalization, online. Previously, only paper applications were allowed. With online filing, applicants can submit forms electronically, check the status of their case, and receive notices from USCIS. The USCIS is committed to making sure this process is secure and efficient for all people applying.
Those who are currently serving or have served in the armed forces may be able to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This allows the application fee to be waived for military members and veterans and waive other requirements as well. It is important to note that some provisions of the law can extend certain immigration benefits to the service members’ family.
Currently, there are 10 USCIS forms that individuals can online instead of through paper. This includes:
- Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card
- Form G-639, Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request
- Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
- Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
- Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-539 is the first online application filing that uses USCIS’ eProcessing strategy. Check your eligibility for online filing of this form at uscis.gov/i539online.)
- Form N-336, Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings (Under Section 336 of the INA)
- Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document
- Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship
- Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322
A USCIS online account must be made in order to file a form. Doing so allows them to submit and track the status of their forms, pay fees, track their case, communicate with USCIS through a secure inbox, and respond to requests for evidence.Contact Our Firm
Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.