American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

Student Visa

Student Visa Attorneys Located in Manhattan

When a citizen of a foreign country enters the United States, they must generally obtain a visa. They can choose between a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay and an immigrant visa for permanent residence. In order to study in the United States, you must have a student visa. The type of visa that would apply to you depends on your course of study and the type of school you wish to attend. An F visa is for those who will attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or another academic institution, including a language training program. The M visa is for those who will study in a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, not including a language training program. If you need an attorney to help you obtain a student visa, contact Katona & Associates, PLLC to schedule a consultation.

Eligibility for a Student Visa

Students reading booksIn order to be eligible for a student visa, whoever intends to enroll in a school must first apply to and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school. Once this is completed, an individual can apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an F or M student visa with a form I-20 provided by the school. If children will also attend American schools, they will need their own individual I-20s.

Student Visa Application Process

There are many ways in which to apply for a student visa, including applying in person at the U.S. embassy or consulate or online. Once you have completed the application, you will have to schedule an interview. Depending on the age of the applicant, the interview may be required. Generally, if you 13 years of age or younger or over the age of 80, you are not required to attend an interview. If you are between the ages of 17 and 79, you will most likely be interviewed. It is important to note that consular officers have the discretion to require an interview of any applicant, regardless of age. Wait times for an interview can vary by location, season, and visa category. Always apply for your visa early.

Gather the Required Documents

It is important that you take the time to gather and prepare numerous documents for your interview. Some of the many documents that you should be ready to provide include the following:

  • A passport that is valid for travel to the United States and will remain valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay unless exempt by country-specific agreements.
  • A nonimmigrant visa application (Form DS-160) confirmation page.
  • Your application fee payment receipt.
  • You will have to provide a photo of yourself while completing a DS-160. If that fails, you will have to bring a photo to the interview.
  • A certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant student status for academic and language students (F-1) and form I-20 or a certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant (M-1) student status for vocational students and form I-20.
  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from the schools you have previously attended.
  • Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school.
  • Your intent to leave the U.S. after your education concludes.
  • Evidence of how you will pay for your educational, living, and travel costs.
Attending Your Interview

The purpose of the interview is for the consular officer to determine if you are qualified to receive a visa and what kind of visa you may be eligible for. You will have to prove that you meet the requirements under U.S. law. You will be required to submit to a fingerprint scan. Once the interview is complete and you are approved, you will pay the fees and wait for your visa. It is always in your best interest to complete the interview process early.

Contact an Experienced NY Immigration Attorney

If you are coming to attend one of the many esteemed academic institutions of New York State, you will likely need a student visa. The attorneys at Katona & Associates, PLLC have nearly 20 years of experience proudly representing students around the world as they try to continue their studies in the United States. If you need a law firm to help you through the process or represent you if a legal issue arises with your student visa, contact the attorneys at Katona & Associates, PLLC today.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta