American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

What Do I Need to Know About Employment Visas in the United States?

Visa and PassportWhen a person from another country wishes to come to the United States for work, they are required to receive an employment visa to do so. The process of doing so is not always easy, which is why it is important to have the help of an experienced New York immigration attorney to assist you during this time. Continue reading below to learn more about employment visas in the United States.

Why Is an Employment Visa Needed?

Employment visas allow immigrants the legal right to live in the United States under the condition that they keep employment. This visa can be extended more than one time, however, they most likely will be required to go back to their native country after the final extension. In addition to this, they will also be required to return if their job is terminated or ends. While this is true, they may look to receive permanent residency as a nonimmigrant worker through the PERM labor certification process.

What Are Types of Employment Visas?

There are several different types of employment visas in the United States that can apply to each person’s own situation. This can include the following:

  • H-1B Visas: For professional employees
  • H-2 Visas: For nonimmigrant unskilled workers who are looking for temporary or seasonal work
  • M Visas: For nonvocational student
  • F Visas: For students looking to attend a high school, private elementary school, conservatory, seminary, university, and other academic institutions
  • B-1 Visas: For temporary entry into the United States for conferences, seminars, meetings, and more
  • TN Visas: For Mexican or Canadian professionals with sponsors in the U.S.
  • P Visas: Temporary visas for noncitizen artists, athletes, and entertainers, as well as their spouses and children.
  • R Visas: Temporary visas for religious workers
How Do I Apply for an Employment Visa?

In order to receive an employment visa, individuals are required to apply outside of the United States from their native country. It is important to note that this is not a simple process and can sometimes take a very long time, as only 140,000 employment-based visas are granted each year. It is because of this that it is crucial to retain an experienced immigration attorney, as we assist in expediting this process.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta