American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

What Do I Need to Know After Losing a Green Card?

GavelIn order to become a permanent resident, foreign individuals must be granted a Green Card. While this holds a significant representation, physically it is just an identification card. This means it is as easy to lose as any other small possession. Permanent residents are required to keep their Green Card with them at all times, which is why they are able to replace it in the event that it is lost. Continue reading below to learn more.

How Do I Replace a Green Card?

Individuals can replace their Green Card if they lose it by filing a Form I-90. This can be done through an online application or by the mail. Filing this document requires a great deal of information, such as the applicant’s name, their mailing address, date of birth, signature, and more. Those who do not have an online account can submit a paper application and the USCIS will create an account for them. When this is done, the USCIS will send the applicant an Account Acceptance Notice. This includes instructions on how they can access the account to pay their filing fee, check the status of their application, get notifications and updates about their case, and manage their information.

What Do I Need to Replace a Green Card?

In the event that a Green Card is lost, destroyed, or stolen, applicants are required to provide information. This can be done with a copy of their Permanent Resident Card. This documents their name, date of birth, photograph, and signature. There are some cases in which a card may have been issued but they never received it. When this happens, the applicant can submit a government-issued form of identification that has the same information. This must be done with a copy of their latest Form I-797, Notice of Action, or a copy of the page in their passport with an I-551 stamp if they were an immigrant.

What Does a New Green Card Cost?

Applicants who need to replace their Green Card must pay a $455 filing fee and a possible $85 biometrics service fee. If they never received the card or it has incorrect information on it, they do not have to pay the fee. If the Form I-90 was filed by mail, the applicant can pay with a money order, cashier’s check, personal check, or with a credit card through a Form G-1450. All checks must be made out to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta