American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

What Is an EAD - What to Know

Gavel and BooksEmployment authorization documents, otherwise known as EADs or work permits, grant foreign nationals the legal right to work in the US for a predetermined period of time. EADs may only be issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS. If you are a current non-resident and you are interested in working in the United States, read on for more information.

Who Needs an EAD?

Some of the groups that may qualify for employment authorization documents are as follows:

  • Foreign students
  • Citizens who are of certain nationalities
  • Family-based nonimmigrants
  • EAD applicants who’ve already applied for an adjustment of status
  • Asylees
  • Refugees
  • Employment-based nonimmigrants
How Do I Obtain an EAD?

Those who require EADs must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

How Do I Renew an EAD?

Those who qualify for an EAD renewal must file a new Form I-765 no later than 180 days after their original EAD has expired. Do not wait to renew your EAD. Instead, speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you fill out the necessary paperwork to ensure you continue working in the United States. Waiting too long to renew your EAD can result in serious issues.

What Happens if My EAD Is Lost, Stolen or Destroyed?

If you need a replacement EAD, you must file a new Form I-765, along with a potential filing fee (unless a waiver is requested and approved). If your EAD contains incorrect information due to a USCIS error, you must submit the original card with the error, an in-depth explanation of the error and why it is an error, and supporting documentation of the correct information and why it should be changed. However, if your card has incorrect information that was not USCIS’s fault, you will have to submit a new Form I-765, a filing fee, all documents specified in the form instructions, and the card with the error. This can be a complicated process, so it is best to speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney. We are here to walk you through all immigration matters.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta