American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

What Is the Criteria for Obtaining a Fiancé Visa in the United States?

RingsThose who use a K-1 visa to enter the United States through marriage have to abide by a strict set of rules. One of the most important is that you must marry your fiancé within 90 days of entering the United States. Reach out to our skilled New York immigration attorneys today to discuss this further and learn more about your options.

How Do I Obtain a Fiancé Visa in the United States?

If you would like to learn more about how to obtain a fiancé visa in the United States, you will want to take note of the various factors that must be met in order to qualify. Below includes the criteria that must be met in the United States to allow them to file for a fiancé visa in the United States:

  • Confirm that after you enter the United States, you will not become a public charge. You must prove that your future spouse’s income meets or exceeds 100% of the US poverty guidelines.
  • Present evidence that you have met your future spouse at a minimum of two years before you file. To prove this, you can produce photographs, text messages, email communications, and more.
  • Attend an interview, provide a medical examination, and submit a background check.

Do not wait to reach out to our firm today to learn more about how you can obtain a visa as a fiance. Our skilled New York immigration attorneys are here to help.

What if I Do Not Get Married Within 90 Days of Entry Into the United States?

If you fail to get married within 90 days, there is a large chance that you will be unable to enter the United States and become a United States citizen because of your lack of eligibility. This is because you are only to be given access into the United States based on marrying a K-1 visa petitioner, so if you do not do so within 90 days, you will most likely be banned from the country. However, in some cases, if you can prove that you married your spouse within 90 days, even if you divorced after, you may be eligible to pursue a green card without the support of your spouse. However, this can not always happen, especially if it is discovered that you were only marrying to gain entry into the United States. Do not wait to reach out to our experienced New York immigration attorneys if you have any additional questions.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta