American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

What to Know About Obtaining a K2 Visa

Books and HammerIf you are not a U.S. citizen, and you are going to marry someone who is, you may be able to obtain a K1 visa. This visa is also known as a “fiancé visa.” A K1 visa will allow you to enter the country, but what if you have children? Your children may be able to enter with a K2 visa. Read on to learn more about how to acquire a K2 visa and what the process entails.

Who Is Eligible for a K2 Visa?

Eligibility for a K2 visa requires the applicant be the child of a K1 visa holder, under the age of 21, and unmarried. Due to the fact that a K2 visa does not give the applicant immigrant status, the child is required to file an application to register permanent residence to change their status after their parents are married.

What Documents Are Required for a K2 Visa?

A K2 visa is a derivative visa that is granted through their parent’s K1 fiance visa petition. This requires the child’s name to be on the parent’s petition. The applicant must also provide the following documentation for a K2 visa:

  • Duly filled in Form DS-160
  • Passport
  • Copy of their birth certificate
  • Completed Form I-134
  • Affidavit of Support and sponsor documents
  • Passport-sized photograph
  • Result of medical examination from an Embassy accredited physician
What Is the Interview Process?

To receive a K2 visa, the applicant must appear for an interview at the US Consulate or Embassy. After the Petition for Alien Fiance is approved by the USCIS, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). It is then sent to the US Embassy or Consulate where the applicant lives. Once the Embassy or Consulate approves the Petition for Alien Fiance, they send instructions to the applicant regarding the scheduling of their interview.

How Long Does a K2 Visa Last?

A K2 visa holder is permitted to stay in the United States as a non-immigrant for 90 days. If the marriage between their parents does not take place within this period of time, the visa holder is required to leave the country within another 30 days. In total, the validity of a K2 visa is 120 days and cannot be extended.

If you are interested in obtaining a K1 or K2 visa, contact our firm to discuss your options with an experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorney.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta