American Immigration Lawyers Association
New York City Bar
Avvo Rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Super Lawyers
Profinder David Katona

What to Know About Renewing Your Green Card in New York

Gavel and BooksA Green Card can open a lot of amazing doors for those hoping to become United States Citizens. But, it is incredibly important to remember that your Green Card is not permanent, in order to be considered valid it must be renewed every 10 years. Read on to learn more about how you can renew your Green Card.

How Do I Renew a Green Card?

To renew a Green Card, you can fill out a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card online, or through the mail. If you are in possession of a previous version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current Green Card.

Can I Renew a Green Card While Outside of the United States?

If you are currently outside of the United States and your Green Card is set to expire within 6 months, but you will return within 1 year of your departure from the U.S. and before your Green Card expires, you must file for your renewal card as soon as you return.

However, if you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the United States, you must contact a U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or a U.S. port of entry before you can file a Form I-90 for a renewal Green Card.

What Should I Do if My Application Is Denied?

In some cases, your Green Card application will be denied. If your application is denied, unfortunately, you cannot appeal the decision. However, you may file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the decision. This can be complicated as this motion must provide new information to warrant a reopening of your case. This motion must also confirm that the decision to deny your application was based either on a misguided or incorrect application of the law, therefore establishing that the office made the wrong decision on the basis of evidence in the file at the time the decision was made. This can be difficult to prove, so it is important to work with an experienced NYC immigration attorney.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your Green Card renewal, contact our firm. We are here to walk you through the process.

Contact Our Firm

Katona & Associates, PLLC is an experienced, highly dedicated New York City immigration law firm located in lower Manhattan. Our firm works with clients in all matters of immigration law, including employment immigration, family immigration, deportation defense, green cards, and citizenship. Contact us to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Client Reviews
"Before I decided to hire David as my immigration attorney, I made thorough research online and I can say that I don’t regret a second that I made the right choice to choose him to represent me as my immigration attorney to apply for my green card. From day one, he was very helpful and patient. I asked him lots of questions during the application process and he provided me always great advice. I am definitely recommending David to every person who needs legal advice. He was very helpful." Alper
"Mr. Katona helped us well prepared our AOS interview, and gave us tons of recommendations. He’s not only professional but also very friendly and patient. He listened to our concerns, answered all our questions and eased our anxiety. He went to the interview with us and our case approved on the spot. He’s definitely the best immigration lawyer in the city. If you need an immigration attorney, Mr. Katona is the right person to talk with." Luyao Y.
"I am overjoyed to come back here and give attorney Katona yet another outstanding review. He confidently guided me and I took what other attorneys considered too big of the risk and I am back with GC!!!" Marta